1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wont idle with chokecompletely off

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by mikebxb, Oct 9, 2007.

1. mikebxb

mikebxb New Member

99 FXST EVO

Just bought first big twin. I love it...
    Trying to figure out how to keep the sumb*tch running at idle with choke / enrichment lever down...
    Have S&S Super E, gravity-flow gas tank valve (non vacuum)
    I start bike w/ choke ( S&S calls it a vacuum assisted enrichment lever)
    After warm up I can only push the choke back down about halfway( Not Flush with breather )
    I opened up the Idle mixture screw one full turn - no change
    S&S manual says you must run motor with choke all way down or you will foul plugs...

Any ideas???
    Thanks in advance

addendum -thnks for all your suggestions. before I start monkeying w/ the carb adjustments I think I'll try a new set of plugs ( just in case they're fouled) ** even tho' I have the S&S E and the Andrews cam upgrade my local stealership recommends standard Harley plugs - hope he's right....
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  2. whacker

whacker Active Member

Is your intake sealed good.....might have to clean carb,sounds like the idle circuit might be plugged up....or too small of intermediate jet....
  3. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

could it be as simple as turning the butter fly stop screw in a little??
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

How long was it sitting or was it ran weekly/daily?

I would look for an intake leak, the bike is telling you that it needs more fuel for the air it's getting.

go to

S&S Cycle Home Page - Welcome you can download the pdf for the carb on tuning it very good pdf to have on file.

Screw should be out 1 and 1/2 turns, get the bike warm, lock the throttle stop at 1500 you should be able to turn off the enricher at that rpm

Turn screw in until motor begins to die, back out idle will come up, go until it starts to die, count turns, half way between in and out die point is correct.

Turn off and count turns out, don't turn in hard be gentle with that idle air screw. See how many turns you are out from bottom, determines if you are lean or rich.
  5. mikebxb

mikebxb New Member

UPDATE

changed plugs.. saw some improvement

They recommend HD Standard EVO ( not gold or platinum)
    I got two pregapped sets under $7pair
    I pulled the old ones (they were HD platinum )
    & they were BLACK with soot!
    I prolly fouled them the first day I had it & was starting it w/ throttle open ( giving it the old chevy double pump before starting)

New plugs in-- started right up... rode about 4 miles - able to get the choke / enrichment lever all way down while riding...
    Idles real nice but died anyway ...Dont trust that confounded lever at Stop light.
    I'm slowly learning things about this beast!

Thanks for the help

Mike Bixby
    Index of /~mbixby
    MySpace.com - Mike Bixby - 50 - Male - Texas - www.myspace.com/mikebxb
    Facebook | Welcome to Facebook! Mike Bixby
  6. charlieharley0057

charlieharley0057 New Member

Same problem on older bike

The choke cable was snapped internally:rolleyes: sometimes it would work and others not. When off, although the lever was still in the off position the cable would vibrate pushing the lever on at the carb:( Black plugs, coughin and spluterin then die.
    Just a thought:cool:
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Check to be sure the enricher lever is fully seating, sometimes they will remain up a bit and that can help foul plugs.

I'd say you need to get the PDF off S&S's site and go through the tuning section step by step.

1) Turn off fuel, remove bowl drain plug with 5/8 wrench, I use an empty tuna can to catch the fuel.
    2) 4 screws on the bowl, remove them 3 short 1 long and drop the bowl, check the jets. See what you have for a pilot (tall thin jet toward the front side of the bike, and main, large jet in the middle. Also see if the carb has an air bleed in the bowl means its a newer carb or been modified, you can tell it will be behind the top gasket and it will be a main jet size to the back of the carb in the bottom. If not that's something to consider having done. It changes when the carb goes off pilot onto main or transistion point.
    3) Assuming all you have in the bike is pipes and the E, it's probably rich, knowing the jet sizes lets you pick up some smaller jets at a local shop to play with.

4) check float to make sure it's operational and set properly
    5) remove and clean out jets with some air
    6) Reinstall bowl
    7) turn in Air Mix screw to bottom and back out 2.5 turns,

Start the bike see how it runs, sounds like it's either too rich and fouling plugs or starving for fuel.

Check the fuel petcock, see if it's clogged, check line etc.
  8. whacker

whacker Active Member

Trying to send you attachments to S&S carbs...Hope it works

Attached Files:

9. mikebxb

mikebxb New Member

Hotroadking,

again, Thnx for the tips.
    I monkeyed with the Idle mixture screw last nite ( after reading the S&S procedure ) It says "seat" the idle mix screw ( clockwise to bottom ) Then back up 1.5 turns - almost wound up having to push my horse home LOL. 1.5 turns was way too lean & starving it for fuel! You must be more correct backing up 2.5 turns..
    I also have the andrews cam upgrade so maybe that contributes to a rough idle.
    I went thru my paper work & it's got a SS Super E 93up carb
    with a 68 main & 28 intermediate jets
    Its NOT clogged fuel as.. with the breather off, one twist of throttle & that sucker shoots plenty of fuel towards the throat (even with the motor off)

If I thought I could run safely with a stock carb ...I'd fleabay this S&S & go back to original carb. (the guy paid $380 in 1999) but now with the Cam & exhaust upgrades I'll wind up chasing my tail...I'm not against performance..SS is well respected but dammit I dont wanna stall at every stop light or have to race the motor to keep it running..
  10. mikebxb

mikebxb New Member

Whacker, thnx for the pdf
    I dig the duct tape comment.
    What would knots in your baleing wire indicate? overengineering??
    duct tape , baleing wire & occasional wad of gum holds it all together baby!
  11. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

Mikebxb, at 28 I'd guess you are running too light on the intermediate. I've got a 1991 FLHS, with cam and pipe upgrades, and I'm running a 29.5 on the intermediate jet. I'm also running a 70 on the main jet. I tried using a 28 to better mileage for back and forth to work. Not only was it a real dog, but I had to set the accelerator pump up to compensate for the low fuel coming in. After going to a 29.5, it got better mileage, that is if I ride like I have some sense.

When you speak of the carb shooting lots of fuel, it is the accelerator pump doing that. Most bikes I've seen have this set too heavy (screw is on the right side of the throat of the carb, looks like the idle stop screw on the left of the throat) to compensate for having too small a jet on intermediate. Good place to start that, is to turn it in (gently!) until you feel it tighten just a bit, then back it off 1 1/2 turn. If you can "blip" the throttle without it popping through the carb, and response is decent, you are likely close on that.

Also, if you are having trouble idling, make sure bike is up to operating temp, then set idle to 850-950 rpm. The low loping sound sounds good and all, but if you want it to ride nice, and not stumble so much, set it at least as high as the manual states for stock. Bigger cam = more loping = more stumbling if you leave idle set too low.
  12. mikebxb

mikebxb New Member

Goats_hogs,

thnx glad I found this forum ...good info
  13. mikebxb

mikebxb New Member

whats the formula?
    bigger the number (jet) the more fuel flow??
    i e
    jet 68 allows less fuel flow than 70??

My objective is not to outrun another Harley. Or a jillion mpg's.
    Just a nice low dependable idle & reasonable avg throttle response
  14. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

yes, lower number is less fuel. Higher number is more fuel flow. I'm like you on the mileage really. I'm getting pretty well 40 plus or minus depending on how I choose to ride it. But mine is heavier, that's a picture of it in my avatar. You could get mid 40's with the upgrades you have, and still run well. Unless the 68 is giving you problems, or you plan on wringing the bike out at high RPMs, it is not likely to give you a problem. Too lean at high RPM can burn hole in the top of pistons, not a good thing! I'd go with a 29.5 on the intermediate, then dial the carb back in. Every time you change jets, you will need to adjust the idle mixture screw, and likely the idle stop screw.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  15. mikebxb

mikebxb New Member

Todays update

new fuel premium
    removed breather
    turned Idle mixture screw in all the way ( gently)
    backed out 2.5 complete (360 degree) turns
    cranked
    ...wont idle
    bucks, snorts.. pops fire from carb & exhaust
    pulled plugs, cleaned , reinstalled plugs
    backed out 1 more complete turn =totalling 3.5 turns from down
    cranked
    ....idles but not without help
    backed out 1 more complete turn = totalling 4.5 turns counterclockwise
    cranked w/ lever (choke) up
    ....starts warms up, smooths out a little
    while assisted idling I push lever down suprisingly it keeps running & the awful sucking noise goes away.
    ....Idling but cannot let go of throttle, must keep slight pressure on throttle to keep running...
    Hell of a lope. nice. but dont know if its normal big twin or CAM related
    Do all you riders out there ride these things with the threat of stall without constant ( I mean constant) attention to the throttle?????

WHICH leads me to think maybe theres a tension adjustment on the throttle that needs attention????

Your thoughts???
  16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

adjust your idle screw to compensate. screw it in 1/4 turn or so....ya need to get the rpm to about 900 or so.:)
  17. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

See if this works right on here. If it does, this video is of my 1991 back early in the summer, just before I changed the jet to the 29.5. It ran ok this way, but was not nearly as good as it is now.

[​IMG]

Anyway, no to your question. Most riders ride these things without much of any off idle problems. I still think the thing for you to do is start out with something you know for fact. My point being, you just got the bike, and even though it says 28 on the jet, that don't mean a thing. The jet that came in my bike said 29.5, but was drilled out and was closer to a 35 or so. I suggest you get a 29.5 from an S&S dealer (most Harley shops around me have the jets for these) and then start with the idle set about 2 turns out, give or take. After warming it up, Follow what HotRoadKing said in the first post to adjust it. Be sure to close the accelerator pump, so not to get a false reading from it.

Also, I checked my main jet, and I said wrong before. I'm running a 72 so that's 29.5 and 72. That is what the S&S carb actually comes with when new, and is based on standard to slightly modified 80 in EVO. (IE, Pipes and cam)
  18. mikebxb

mikebxb New Member

Goats_Hogs,

(that wouldnt be goats as in "GTO" ???) Oh well

1st the video worked great!
    Sweet ride.... fantastic sound
    no reason my little EVO cant run & sound like yours without having to "man" the throttle.
    I'm gonna TRY not to monkey with adjustments as I have it somewhat rideable now & an appt next week with a freind that works on them
    (see my Myspace page for pics of the hardtail shovel he built from boxes to bustin bugs)
    I'll pass along these jet size suggestions..
    You guys are really helpin this old fart get an education on all things Harley.
    I'd much rather experience a little of the frustration of keepin these scooters runnin than droppin it off at a dealer & throwin $$ at the problem.
    When you have your own sweat in something its more appreciated
    [​IMG]
  19. whacker

whacker Active Member

I had trouble with my sportty with a 29.5 intermediate jet,put in a 31 and it idled better and didn't cough,I thought it would be to rich,but it worked for me.....
  20. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

Yeah Mike, it was as in GTO. I had a 67 Tempest that I semi-cloned with engine and suspension from a GTO, but left it look like the Tempest. Then I had a 70 GTO numbers matching, with a 400 and 4 speed from the factory. I worked on, fixed up, and drove it for 5 years. After that I had a Grand Prix with a 462 fuel injected race engine in it. I sold it two years ago and got deeper into the Harleys.

Yes, working on your own bike is best. And should you break down sometime, you will have a better chance at fixing it by the roadside..... and they all break down at some point.

Here's a couple of pictures of them....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]