1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wont idle with chokecompletely off

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by mikebxb, Oct 9, 2007.

1. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

great feeling

it always feels soooo good to get your bike running good:D . but there's no better feeling when you do it yourself:p . it's like saving your best friends life as opposed to standing back and watching someone else doing it. feels like such an pure success when i do it myself, as opposed to that expensive, ripped off, failure, feeling when i pay someone to do it:puke:
  2. mikebxb

mikebxb New Member

There's a few of us ol gearheads left. Not everbody has succumbed to rap music & drivin honda civics!!!!!!! hahahaha
    Nice Cars!
    The Grand Prix was a sleeper w/ its stock 400 - ran like a cheetah..great interior too. A gentleman hot rod.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Goats are cool
    Vettes are cool

Had a 86 c4, changed rear to an 83 pumkin with 3.33's put on a total exhaust off a 96, dumped the resonator, changed intake runners, ignition, msd, open air cover with K&N custom chip, drag radials for Wed Nights and a little 150 shot of NOS:devil:

Thing was quick ran 12.50 at 110 all day long looked stock, pounded on a lot of street cars, was going to put in a TPIS full roller cam and do the heads, sold it , never got that far, buddy with an 86 and same setup with the cam ran 10's all day long.

Back to the carb, with that many turns out you are way to lean, stop by an indy shop pick up a 31, 32, 34 intermediate. The main leave it alone for now.

Pull the bowl and bump the intermediate/pilot jet up to the 32.

reset the mix screw
    Turn off the pump (turn pump screw all the way in)

Start and see how she runs.

Spray some carb cleaner from the horn side around the intake seals see if the idle changes if it does you might have a leaky seal that is causing it to go lean.

Remove horn, jack up the tank, pull off the carb and intake replace the seals if needed.

You shouldnt be far off around a 30 main I run a 32 in my 124 probably could go up on that to a 34 if I want to increase OPEC's take home pay.
  4. mikebxb

mikebxb New Member

Too much pretty weather this weekend to not be riding!
    SO.....I called local Shop (not dealership) Asked if I could come by & get somebody to tweak my carb..?
    They said Lets give it a shot but if it turns out to be somethin more involved... be prepared to leave it
    Limped it to the shop ..running like sh*T!
    Guy came out with two screwdrivers flat & phillips
    pulled breather adjusted accelerator pump screw & readjusted idle mixture screw. 10 mins ! PERFECT Damn thing sounds like Goats_hogs scooter
    I mean it just purrs! Like its sposed to!!
    As bad as the ride to the shop was ...the ride after was BLISS.
    Now I can really enjoy my new scooter without worrying maybe I bought a "lemon" or stalling at a stop light.. Or just laying out $$$ for a faulty Harley.
    All those worries are gone! I got a nice little primer in V Twin carberation in the process...
    Thanks to everybody for their diagnostic suggestions ( I may still revisit the JET sizes)

If you find yourself traveling thru the WACO, TX area ..stop by JIM'S Cycle Stop in AXTELL TX Jims Cycle Shop - Custom Chrome Bike Kits - Home
    My only association is as a consumer & customer very happy with excellent , speedy service.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have been in his shop many times....closet full of there t shirts....straight shooter and nice place to just hang out!! has parties and big texas feeds there also.
  6. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

HRK, now you have me confused. You running that 32 main on what carb? If it's an S&S, are you sure it's not a 72? Or maybe even larger with the 124? I'm running a 72 on mine, but just a 29.5 intermediate....

I must have missed something, or there's a typo on that number somehow.....

Glad you got it running well Mike. Next time you'll know. You might want to see if you can download or get your hands on an Super E and G installation and jetting instructions manual. They are very helpful until you know your way around the carb.
  7. whacker

whacker Active Member

Good to hear your purring now...Have fun ridding..getting colder here in Mich,but I did get to put on some miles last weekend.....

Attached Files:

8. mikebxb

mikebxb New Member

Thnks
    Bad thing about TX, Summer is hot as the hinges on the outhouse door.
    Good thing about TX, can prolly ride 11 mos out of the year.

My buddy in Buffalo/Niagara said the same.. He's parked his bike til March

Nice Sporty!