1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Working on 4 projects at once and going crazy.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by CHRISRG, Aug 20, 2004.

1. CHRISRG

CHRISRG New Member

Ok here's what I'm looking at,

I'm facing down 4 projects right now and I don't know where to start. I need to run the wires through my new bars, install new chrome front master cylinder / ss brake line, install new ss clutch line, install new ss throttle/idle cables. Oh and I'm putting new chrome levers on as well. Here's my take on this stuff.

I think I should run the wiring first, however I'm concerned about taking the entire tank off. I loosened it up but still can't see the harness. If I could get the wires unplugged I can get the rest no sweat. It looks like it will also be easier to run the throttle/idle cables with the tank off. Is there anything to be concerned about when totally removing the tank, other than draining fuel?

Second, The master cylinder and brake line is probably the easiest, so I've got that covered, as well as installing the levers.

Third, the clutch line scares me too. Looks like I'll need to drain the tranny fluid and take the cover off the right side to get to the connection. I've not done any of this before, but I'm sure I can tackle it. I'll need to remove the exhaust to get the outer cover off it appears.

I guess I could use some tips from anyone out there who's worked on these projects. I just want it to go smooth and not foul anything up. I'm totally proficient working on stuff like this, but I get a little intimidated when it comes time to start breaking things down. I appreciate the help.
  2. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Anyone who provides a helpful answer is going to need to know what brand and model bike you're working on. On some bikes, tank removal is simple and common sense. On others, it is complex and involved.

Same is true of the other stages of your project.

Good luck!
  3. CHRISRG

CHRISRG New Member

Sorry bout that. Forgot the most important thing.

2003 Fatboy FLSTF Thanks.
  4. CD

CD Guest

EFI or carbed?

Carbed bike is easier to remove tank...
    I usually suggest removing the tank as it can flop around and damage the paint etc. Couple of bolts and some fittings.

The best tip I can recommend is get the service manual before starting your project. Sit down and study it to familiarize yourself with the wiring, fuel routing etc.
    Wiring is easiest to do while everything else is out of the way. Clutch cable is no big deal. Get a new end cover gasket and while you are at it, throw an EZ clutch in it to reduce lever effort. If you have the bike on the kickstand, fluid loss is minimal. Just use a catch pan and then top off the juice. I find it easier to remove the ball ramp and twist the end cover off the cable instead of cable off the end cover. I install from either direction duplicating stock routing and make sure to avoid run points. If you have rub points use some frame clamps to keep the cable off the frame etc. They look good and make the cable smoother. Lube the cable with some 3-1 light oil before installing makes for smoother action. That and an EZ clutch and your effort is well, effortless.;) Here is a good thread on the wiring http://biketalk.directparts.com/showthread.php?t=330&highlight=handle+wiring

I would get everything else done then the brakes. Some use a brake bleeder, some pump a vacuum and now some push the fluid up from the caliper. The key is to get the air out.
    https://www.directparts.com/static/articles/brakebleedingtips.htm
    :confused:
  5. CHRISRG

CHRISRG New Member

Thanks CD,

Thanks for the good info. My bike is carbed, so hopefully I can get the tank all the way off without too much trouble. I'm going to head down the the stealer and pick up the gasket for the cover and new exhaust gaskets, since that has to come off as well. Hopefully I'll have it all back together this weekend and on the road.
  6. CHRISRG

CHRISRG New Member

Well my Brother in law and I dug into the project yesterday and we got it all done in about 5 hours. No problems at all, which surprised the hell out of me. All of the wiring went through the bars with no issue. Got all of the sainless lines hooked up, bled the brakes, levers are on and everything is looking sweet. The hardest part was getting that **** snap ring off of the inside trans cover when changing the clutch line. We had snap ring pliers and it still was a pain in the butt. Other than that, I'm very happy with the new clean look. Thanks to all who provided advice. It was invaluable.
  7. SISK

SISK New Member

Picture time

CHRISRG,

Now that your project has been successfully completed, Post A Photo !! :D :D

Let's see your handywork!! Some of us need some inspiration and encouragement to tackle the next project, and a good success story is just the key. ;)

So, unless you'd prefer typing a thousand words,
    Post A Photo!! :D

SISK

The difficult things I'll do right away...The impossible will take awhile longer.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  8. CHRISRG

CHRISRG New Member

Will do.

I'll have some up tomorrow morning for the world to view.

...hey that rhymed!