1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Working Out..

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Ramona

Ramona New Member

JohnnyBiker......congrats on taking your health and well being seriously. Has the PT gone into any diet changes to go along with your new fitness program?
    Speaking only for myself...I feel much better staying away from sugar and dairy as much as possible, and eating smaller meals with 'clean' protein (moose venison) and a lower carb intake....

Weight bearing exercise is good for bone density and bone strength....again congratulations!
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yes he has made some modifications to my diet. Mainly he is trying to see how many calories my body wants or needs. My Pt isn't really forcing on me, as an example, all protein or all carb diet. He is stressing balance. I do think that his calorie recommendation to begin with was a little high.. (3300) per day... I cut that down to about 2100 per day. Now that I cut that down, I feel much better. I am eating a lot of granola, meats and dairy but eating them in moderation and in equal (calorie) portions for each meal. I have cut out pretty much all fast food, pop, unnecessary sugar, and yet, even alcohol. I have committed myself to an almost complete lifestyle change. Except for giving a couple people on this forum a lot of PROTEIN TASTING LIKE SHIIT. :D

Thanks for asking Ramona....
  3. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

I have a friend who lifted religiously for years. He is now in his 50's and paying for it with problems in his shoulders and surgery on both wrist's. Just be aware of whats going on with your body and be safe!
  4. JohnnyBiker

The shoulder surgery could have been from not working the inner and outer rotator cuffs. My PT has said that it is imperative that those get worked. Another thing is that I am going to take a day off from lifting so I can allow my body to heal. (Muscles). :D I think I am well aware of the risks that can happen. It isn't like I haven't done this before....:D
  5. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I've heard two schools of thought on lifting; Multiple Sets and reps. (old thought) One set using a weight you can't lift more than say 8 times and no more. (new thought)New thought is supposed to be more efficient for building muscle than multiple sets of which I used to do and now I too have shoulder arthritis.
  6. JohnnyBiker

I am from the old school thought that I do multiple reps and sets. However, I do not lift heavy weight, at least not yet, I am starting out light and then gradually moving to the heavy weight. This, IMO, gives your muscles and body a chance to adjust...
  7. Fatboy128

8. JohnnyBiker

9. Fatboy128

Yeah, I didn't think you knew what I was referencing in an earlier post where I quoted "I pick things up...." :cool:
  10. JohnnyBiker

Nope!!:D:D
  11. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

All kidding aside, you're doing great! A word about diet. Try to eat one raw salad a day, too. I'm of the opinion that in the so-called food pyramid, veggies & fruit should be at the base instead of meat & dairy. It has done both me and Mac the Wife a world of good.
  12. JohnnyBiker

I like salad so that shouldn't be too hard...:D
  13. JohnnyBiker

I still Love that tune.....:D:cool:
  14. joshbob

I don't listen to anything when I work out. When the weather permits, I go outside and do my routine to the sound of the birds in the trees . . .
  15. JohnnyBiker

Considering that I work out inside, music will have to do...:D
  16. joshbob

When I worked out when I was in my twenties, I was told that light weight with more reps gives you definition, while heavy weight with less reps gives you bulk. I ended up gaining 20 lbs. of muscle with somewhere between both extremes.
    About a year or so after I stopped working out with the free weights I lost everything I had.