1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

WVAK47's Sporty Project

Discussion in 'Projects' started by wvak47, Jan 7, 2008.

1. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Ok some have said I should post pics of this project. I hope this works NOT having much luck with this attaching small pics, and hate taking up screen room with links to full size pics.

As I said NO F'n Luck with attachments.

Pics are all in my gallery under Projects

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that will work!!! number the pics or somesuch...and put the comentary here....going to take a look now!
  3. chucktx

wow, you are really getting it done!!!! the polishing is really making it lool great.........and if ya really want clouds and sky in the derby..........send it on!!!!!!!!:)
  4. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Ok finally hosted them myself instead of in the Gallery and got the attachments to work.

Now what I have done to this point. Everything has been cleaned/polished to include the cables and wire covers.
    Started with the forks, Removed the reflectors, cleaned off the stupid casting seam left on by manufacture, cleaned off the clearcoat and shot them flat black. Added the gaitors and put them aside.

Triple tree, same deal with removing all the extra casting lines I could get to. Painted the aluminum flatblack to match fork sliders. Put all the chrome back after cleaning. Painted the handle bars to match the trees and sliders then polished all the writing off the buttons (sorry no pic of that yet but it is just black buttons). Polished the levers (who needs chrome when you have smooth aluminum). Moved the turnsignals over to the inside to allow the mirrors to be hung under the bars. Added the acorn nuts on top of the mirrors to keep it from being those goofy little rubber boots. Still need to replace the original nuts with spacer and only have the chrome acorns. The emblem on the front is a Springer Front Brake insert on the Flames package. I had to know how that little bar and shield was on there. Well I found out and it wasn't going back OOPS, so I opted for something with a bit more class.

Rockerbox covers was nothing special just a good cleaning and polishing. That goofy hole in the middle is becomeing the bain of my project though.

Lower covers were removed and cleaned. Shot with engine flat black paint. Timing cover is Harley Flames package (two tone but the brass is coming off :rant: ), not much to do to the right side. Left side I polished both the derby cover and the chain inspection port cover. I had plans of getting the matching FLAMES derby but now that the brass is coming off I don't know about all that. I am giving thought to painting it the same color as the tins (black cherry possible gold flake not sure on the flakes yet). The chain cover will stay what it is.

Sure types up faster than it happens. This is the end of about a weeks worth of work. I have learned a great deal about my Sporty though. First is the dang thing was FILTHY. Amazing how many bug nests I cleaned out of hidden holes. Stupid nature LOL. Second I learned just how pretty a piece of aluminum could be, with the right amount of work. Third I learned I MUST build my powdercoat oven as paint on aluminum isn't worth a darn. But easy to touch up for now. I have gained a better idea of just how long this poor beast had to set as well. The clutch cable adjustment is completely rusted up inside the boot. Almost glued the boot to the metal NASTY.

I also have the shocks polished up, and the strut covers (wanting shorter turnsignal mounts so those aren't quite finished).

One thing about it WHEN I finish with this project there won't be much about my '05 I don't know. The more I get to know her the more I love her too. Taken a bunch of crap from folks for buying her on ebay and all the trouble I have had, but they don't see all the education I have gained, and I know down to the screw turn what is on and not on my bike, they can't say that. I just don't like surprises, especially on the road.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  5. chucktx

as i said, your doing a great job of documentation and photo taking!!! as for the oven,,,,an old working oven will work quite well for bike parts, unless ya gonna do the frame. the rest will fit in there a piece at a time.
    thanks for taking the time to post!:)
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

that's looking good , i like the way you did the whole front end :cool:
  7. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Thanx guys. I have big plans and small wallet (like every other Harley rider I know LOL) so as much as I can do for me I MUST do for me LOL.

A regular oven will do the trick for small parts (well any part that fits in it), but I want to do frames, wheels, anything I want as a matter of fact. I ain't looking at doing this for just my project this is a possible second income of sorts (I hope anyway). When you can make your hobby pay for itself you have won the game.
  8. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

Good work.You have inspired me to work on more than I had planned this winter( if we have a winter here in Ky). My plan is to get my shovelhead in my shop this weekend but man the weather just keeps teasin' me:rolleyes: .
  9. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Oh believe me Sarge I have been really torn. Our weather and yours is REAL close. I haven't ever seen this many warm days through Dec and Jan. But I am in hopes it all pays off, we get a good one here and there now but this summer should be all bugs and wind man.
  10. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

I'm just outside of Lexington. May have to go ridin' this spring. I'm heading to Deal's Gap this spring to conquer the Tail of the Dragon, that is after I get some more time in the saddle.:D
  11. chucktx

when a hobby starts paying for itself it is called a JOB!!!! it then looses its status as a hobby......................i have a ton of hobbies that have turned into jobs........the one i am keeping a hobby is fishing!!!!
  12. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Now see right there you would have to pay me to fish, that is a job to me. As long as I am doing something I want to do and enjoy doing it remains a hobby no matter how much money I make or lose. When it stops being fun it stops happening for me, I have a day job don't want a second job :D
  13. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

powder coating

hi y'all there is a guy on 650garageusa that has a cheap plan for a powdercoat oven. his work is amazing. it's in their painting section. it has made me think about getting the stuff to do my own.
  14. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

Constructruction Page

Here's a link for powdercoat oven plans. I may get around to building one myself sometime. Al
  15. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

That is exactly the plans I was looking at using Al.

Momma just got a new cookstove. The controls and oven elements are still fine on the old one she plans to have hauled off for scrap. WELL Now, who do you think plans to do a bit of scavanging when that happens? :D I know those parts aren't expensive but they are always better when free. Not to mention the recycling aspect.
  16. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Ok it's been a bit since a post but the Sporty project is moving along still (WAY more slowly than I would like). I am getting a bit on the tired of not having my bike atleast in a set on condition LOL.

The rear fender has now been chopped. No pics of that just yet. An old friend, and older biker I work with had an original Sparto limpdick light laying around and didn't need it. In true biker fashion he donated it to my Sporty project. With such a fine gift from a great friend I had to use it and this transformed my tail section ideas completely.

First I chopped the factory rear fender following the bottom center straight line, rolled up and across the back with the end of the fender now being the top of the last license plate mount hole. She IS short, leaving JUST enough room for the sparto.

Now comes the fun part making the lights all work. Obviously this chop removed the factory tail light. Nothing a turnsignal conversion won't fix. For anyone looking to install the turn signal to taillight kit on the 04-07 sportsters I can tell ya what I have done. First there are two kits available. The first one is for 04 the second is from 04-later. WELL, the second is $10 more money and only has a slight change that I was starting to think might be worth the dang 10spot. The 04 model has an icecube size box with the leads coming out the bottom on opposite corners and the 04-later is the same size square but about half as tall with the leads coming from a side (real close to the same thickness as the OEM ICM). The later would be way easy to get under the seat, being the cheap bitch I am I saved the $10 and work for 45 minutes trying to figure out where to mount that house size box (ok wasn't as big as a house but might as well been trying to get it under the factory seat LOL). The discovery I made is that on the frame of the Sporty where the ridge Ys into the seat area is NOT pipe. It is half round and leaves a BIG hole right over the battery. Pull the battery, pull the harness lead back from under the ICM, plug up IceCube, and feed second lead under seat/ICM, put the battery back and it is all nice and snug and out of the way. Save your 10spot if you can find the older kit.

With that done and being I don't want to cut and solder anymore than I must I took the factory tail light apart to discover the little board it all plugs into is about 3/4X4". Since I am running the factory seat I found that I could mount this board on the fender under the seat. The factory protector that is put on the fender is under a big dimple in the bottom of the seat. Plenty of room for the board and connectors. The factory leads from the turnsignals reach just fine. Will have to mod the taillight leads to reach but only one set of cut wires. I enlarged the second hole for seat mount in the fender to hold a 1-1/8" rubber gromet to feed the leads through under the seat. All tucked away and neat. This mod will however require staying with the factory seat on this fender. No solo seat for this bike now. Oh well I still like the way she is turning out. Will post pics as soon as I get them taken.
  17. chucktx

wow, that sounds really great!!!! i like that old style of light also!!! hope to see some pics soon, have fun!:)
  18. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Ok got a few shots last night. Sorry I forgot my background cloth so you get to see the stuff in the garage too OOPS.

First is a shot of my new Thunderheart ICM, most because I wanted to point out where I stuffed the Turnsignal Converter.

The two of the fender just show where I chopped it and what it is working out to look like so far.

Then I had to take a pic of such quallity workmanship of the Brits in the 1950s. Man I couldn't believe I cleaned paint off that light just to have to put it back to cover the craters. Both sides look that bad naked :( . I really wanted to polish this piece and make her shine on the back but that won't be happening. I did however remove the casting web from under the neck of the light.

The shot of the rear fender without the light shows my skill at finding the right place to drill holes LOL. Ok I need work but I am getting there. I tend not to blame my helper even though he was the dimp that marked them in the first place. It also shows the enlarged hole with the gromet for the wiring up top and the need of a gromet below the tail light. Anyway just a few more pics as the project goes.

OH YEAH forgot to get pics of that little controler board and its placement. It goes under the seat just in front of the grab stap but not quite down to the back of the driver section. I will try to get that one next time.

Attached Files:

19. chucktx

nice!!!! i like the fender!!
  20. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Thanx Chuck. Got the front fender cleaned and shot last night. Let it cure today while at work, wetsand and shoot again this evening if the weather holds for me. Gave up on stripping the rear fender last night, the new harley paint is tougher than I am (chemicals here we come), even the heat gun wouldn't loosen that crap up. :banghead: