1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

WVAK47's Sporty Project

Discussion in 'Projects' started by wvak47, Jan 7, 2008.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that is way cool!!!!!!!!!! congrats!!
    nothing wrong with a rat bike.......ya ride more cause ya aint polishing it!!!!
    my bike is filthy!!!!!!!!!:)
  2. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

7109.3 That is the number I will remember for a while. The Sporty project begins again.

This was yesterday.

My ride to work this morning was a bit different that the last few. Was out late last night (or early this morning however you want to look at it). Alarm went off and I hit the snooze a few times. Finally 6:00 hit and I told wifey. Normally I am up and ready to leave by that time but this morning the bed was just feeling good. Wifey came in and asked if we were riding together today, since I was late and it was supposed to rain. Told her no I would ride anyway. Got up and got ready took care of feeding the cats and whatnot. Got on the bike and headed to work.

Was a little damp from the mist in the air, small chill but really just felt pretty good. About two miles from home, at a stoplight, things went way different. I was following a white van that was following a blue car when the light turned yellow. The car had days of time to get through the light and I figured the van probably did as well. I knew I couldn’t make it so I let off the throttle and grabbed the clutch to drop a gear and hit the brakes. All good nothing out of the normal until the blue car stopped for the yellow light. The driver of the van apparently felt as I did that the car had days of time and was startled by the sudden stop. She hit her brakes hard to keep from hitting the car and I did my best to stop the Sporty. My best wasn’t good enough and I hit the rear of the van. When I heard the hiss of the slide from the rear tire I knew things had gone from bad to worse.

I always wondered how I would feel or react when I had my first crash. Now I know. I didn’t feel a bit of fear, no worry, just an “oh well here we go” feeling. I watched as the front tire slowed and closed the gap between it and the rear of the van, wondering is this going to stop, maybe, maybe. Then it was answered, nope not going to stop well not before crutching on the bumper of the van. I leave the saddle and feel the bike rise below me just a bit. Now I am only thinking Please don’t let me hit that back glass. I could have kissed my reflection I was so close to the window when I stopped moving up and forward but no impact. The bike fell back to the ground in its tracks and me to the saddle, as it began to go over sideways. I let my right leg out and allow the bike to fall under me as I guided the bars to the ground.

I knew right then this was a very special morning. You see had this happened last Thursday and I suffered no more physical harm than I did, I would have came off the bike and beaten the woman in the blue car within an inch of her life. The reason for this is that last night I was out so late because of conviction. I told God I was sorry for what I had done with and in my life, and gave over to him the hate I had inside me.

The young lady driving the van rushed back and asked if I were ok. I told her I was and inquired to her condition. She seemed slightly surprised at my answer and mood. Then she asked me, “Why didn’t she just go on through the light”. I had to answer, “Well dear that is a question you would have to ask her cause I haven’t a clue”, we both laughed. She said, “You are really taking this very well”, and I had my chance. “Well you see last night I told God I was sorry and asked him to show me a better way, you are no more surprised at my reaction to this than I am.” She and I talked until the police arrived which was pretty timely for our local finest. During this time I got the chance to share with her “A Penny” and witness to the love of Jesus. I didn’t get her name nor she mine, but I hope she may remember the kind biker who hit her van and more importantly the message he had to share.

Have a Blessed Day I know I have.

Attached Files:

3. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

that sucks, at least your ok, damage don't look that bad, now you can get those custom wheels you always wanted
  4. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

These project threads could go on forever, especially if I am behind it LOL. I was wanting a new front, thinking girder or atleast wideglide but really wasn't quite ready to go for it just yet :roflmao: . Can you believe HD wants just over $500 for that stupid 21" laced factory wheel. NO WAY I can get a rim and spokes and have it laced for WAY less, and for $100 more get that new mag I was wanting too. Or for my $250 deductable I could make the insurance get me an all NEW front and start over LOL. :D
  5. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

You know WVAK, I have the original laced wheels from my wide glide in my shop....I don't know if they will fit but its at least something to think of. It is a 21" wheel. Let me know if you're interested and I'll take some measurements.
  6. chucktx

glad your ok!!!! sure coulda been worse. a wheel should be pretty easy to come up with..........have fun!!!:)
  7. oldman1

oldman1 New Member

Hey wvak47, I'm glad to hear your allright and sorry about your bike damage. Hope you can get it back on the road soon.
  8. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

It's all good, God took care of the big stuff, now I just got to fix the metal parts LOL. Thanks everyone for the well wishes they are appreciated.

Voodoo that is too cool of you man, I appreciate that very much. I think I am just going to bite the bullet and get my mag I been wanting. Well work with the insurance and let them get the mag I been wanting LOL. I just don't have the funds for all the parts as quickly as I "want" them LOL. I am having MAJOR withdrawl.

I figure if I can get a quote from HD and my insurance will cut me a check the rebuild of those fork tubes and all the disassembly and assembly process will burn up 4 hours of "valuable" shop time which will (@ $65/hr) more than pay my deductible and I will spin the wrenches myself. Along with getting my parts where I want, rather than feeding the stealer. Have an indy that can supply 90+% of what I need and more reasonable than HD.

Anyway HERE WE GO, new tangent on the WVAK47 Sporty LOL. Of course if this works like I am hopeing there will be pics to come of the process.

Peace
  9. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

well, the wheel ain't going anywhere, so let me know if you need it in the future. right now it's just taking up valuable space in the shop. good luck on the rebuild.
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Well good to here your alright , & as you know the bike can be fixed
  11. guanweiqin

guanweiqin New Member

guanweishoes and garment company

I am a new rider, and I definately want to go Japanese for a bike. But what is everyone's opinion as far as the best Bike maker ( As far as motor, reliabilty, and quality ) style is not as important as the rest. I'm leaning towards Honda, but only cause I have only driven Honda vehicles. Most likely a sport bike I will buy not a cruiser.

[Web site name deleted]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  12. chucktx

hondas are longlasting and fast...........
  13. guanweiqin

guanweiqin New Member

Have you joined motocross? i seen it .it is very exciting, now i often practice my ride skill , i wish to join them , wear motorcycle jacket , motorcycle boots . it is so cool. in order to the safe , pay attention helment and boots .
    it is important , only my advise . joy with safe.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  14. guanweiqin

guanweiqin New Member

Have you joined motocross? i seen it .it is very exciting, now i often practice my ride skill , i wish to join them , wear motorcycle jacket , motorcycle boots . it is so cool. in order to the safe , pay attention helment and boots .
    it is important , only my advise .
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  15. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

I understand you are new, I also see you haven't a mastery of American English (cause we sure don't speak "English") SO I will try to be as nice as I can. Please highjack someone else's thread with your VERY well laid out SPAM. Better yet stroll on over to the general discussion section (Pull up a chair and set for a spell) and have a GREAT time here on Bike Talk. BTW Welcome aboard.
  16. cowboy

wvak47 hows your bike comming along ? or is it to long a comming back to the streets ?
  17. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

LOL yeah my bike is coming too long along LOL. My fault completely though. Like before I tried doing it myself first and finally figured I just don't have the free funds to do what I want to do as quickly as I would like to do it. I finally gave up and tried to turn it over to the insurance and boy that is becoming a bit of a problem of its own LOL. No hurries no worries I WILL be back on two before the season is over this year. I have right at 3K to get in for my 10K for the year. I have located all my parts, some new some used like new, and some will simply fall under the hammer to be straightened (fender).

Thanks for asking Cowboy, I will surely keep everyone up to date once anything actually starts happening on my end.

Y'all be safe out there, they are right life without your bike is just life :rolleyes: .
  18. cowboy

Always good to here a hammer get's in the action , Just take your time & do it your way :cool:
  19. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

you sure you don't need that wheel WVAK???
  20. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

VDC I ain't real "sure" of anything anymore. I am concerned that the WG will have too wide of a hub for my stock NG forks man. If you want to throw a tape across the hub and let me know. Maybe we can work something out. What would you want for it anyway? What year bike is it off of, and what size axle? Most all newer stuff seem to be 3/4" on the axle.