1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

WVAK47's Sporty Project

Discussion in 'Projects' started by wvak47, Jan 7, 2008.

1. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Nevermind VDC, I bought one today. I really appreciate your willingness to help though.
  2. guanweiqin

guanweiqin New Member

www guanweishoes com

Life is not lost by dying, Life is lost minute by minute, day by dragging day, in all the thousand small uncaring ways. ----

i like this sentence.
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

No problem wvak, just trying to help. If I'd have seen your post earlier I would've measured it, but glad you got one.
  4. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

finally got around to getting more parts in, paint shot, and parts together. put it together for a mock up and picture session last night. Didn't have help putting the forktubes back together so I didn't get process pics of that. Would make a neat how-to article. Maybe next time. Don't let anyone talk you out of it, it isn't hard to do for yourself at all.

Ok in the first pic is a front shot. Notice the RAIN came back here after a month. I know God loves me but sometimes I wonder :roflmao: . If you look lower left of the first pic you will see the Jack that I now don't like anymore. Reason if you look at the lower pipe heat shield in the second pic you will see red on it. That is not a reflection that is where the bike (although strapped to the jack) fell over on the jack when I was putting the front wheel on. I know God loves me because He told me to take the tank off and leave the side cover off while I put the wheel on. Talk about MAD had I not LOL. No biggy I now have the exhaust wrap to redo the exhaust. Wanted it anyway now I have a good excuse (ok maybe not but the wife thought so LOL).

Third pic is my new RED. Repainted the coil and painted the switch housing. Painted the headlight bucket to match the tank while leaving the chrome ring. Need to put the little plastic covers back on the tank mounting tabs and that will fix that ugly section.

Next pic is the NEW wheel. SHINY, WET stupid rain :roflmao: . Last pic is just another shot of the front switch and light section. Notice the new shiny downtubes. WEEEEE. I would have had the nice new shiny (first time body work) fender on there except it was beside the rear tire when the bike fell. :banghead: :gah: :mad: . Now I have to redo that stupid thing AGAIN or run without it, but I sure hate drinking road water LOL.

I went with a gloss black on the tins this time (well will on the back when I get it all redone there too) and flat black and red trim. I am please with how she is coming around.

Attached Files:

5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

looking very nice!!!!!! glad things are comming together for ya.......maybe ya can try your hand a little pinstriping......that would look really cool!!!!:)
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I guess I need to read first then look at the pic's I thought you had the wet look paint & chrome :roflmao: , Look's like your doing just fine & moving along & I have to agree with you on putting the front fender back ,cause the road water don't taste good :D
  7. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

I would love to do the pinstiping but two things prevent it. First I am indecisive as hell. :roflmao: I couldn't design a pattern I was happy with in a million tries. Secondly and not nearly as problematic is not having a brush.

Normally I wouldn't have had to deal with the fender as I wouldn't have been running it. It hadn't rained here in weeks when I wrecked the bike. Normally by the second clear day the fender is off there. It had been raining on and off there for so long that I got lazy and just left it on there. What I get for being lazy LOL.

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words. I have so plans for Ol' Girl but still waiting on parts.

I have some questions on a possible for her. I am thinking about wrapping the exhaust. Since she fell over on the jack and barked up the chrome cover on the lower pipe pretty good, I figured now was a fine time. I pulled the pipes last night and discovered my headerpipe is 1.75 while the slip on is 2 or just over. There is this Gawd Awful connector between them as well. Wrapping this will look like CRAP SICKLES anyway you slice it. First thought is to remove the clamps and simply weld the slipons on. Smooth down the weld and wrap. Again it flares and I ain't sure I like that idea. Second if I only wrap to the slipon and paint the rest it is about a waste of time to wrap any of it (short headerpipes on sporty). Next idea is to get some 1.75 exhaust pipe and weld to the header pipe and fab brackets, then wrap whatever I want. I am running straight pipes now as I pulled the baffles. An 883 can sound like a Harley you just have to get rid of all baffles LOL. I got torque cones for it yesterday as well.

Ok old timers and pros, what says you? Comments and suggestions appreciated.
  8. chucktx

would ya post up a pic of a full side shot showing all the pipes?????? get a better idea...........:)
  9. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

well I can't exactly do that without remounting them LOL. I can post a pic or have actually with the covers on but that don't help. I can easy take a pic of the pipes off the bike this weekend. Won't be back before Monday.
  10. chucktx

that will work.....just wanting a pic......easier to tell what you are working with!!!!!!!:)
  11. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Thanks Chuck. I stopped by work to pick up the bandsaw to cut my new exhaust pipes LOL. I went to Quallity Exhaust (little hole in the wall shop here) and bought 7' of exhaust pipe with both ends flared. $30 out the door. Straight pipes it is LOL. Just going to hook these to my headers and call it even. I will post up what turns out later.

Thanks again for the help guys.
  12. chucktx

sound good.....pics!!!! :) :D
  13. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

A few new pics. First is my taped up and masked off rear wheel shot with the new RED. My finished rear wheel, and then my future straight exhaust waiting to be cut down. Will get pics of the cut down exhaust and the mounting brackets I fabbed up this evening.

Attached Files:

14. chucktx

nice looking wheel!!!! gonna look good on the bike!!!:)
  15. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Family days SUCK right now. As pretty as it was yesterday I could have finished my Sporty if not for going to my parents LOL. Oh well Momma loves me I guess :D .

Anyway here are some more pics of what is done so far.

Got my Air Cleaner in Saturday and got it painted and installed. That wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Left rear fender shot show the new red on the caliper and the strap hanging down is to lock my lid on when parked.

A shot of all the wiring ran and ready for the turnsignals if I ever get those rascals converted to 1157 lamps. That isn't much fun I can tell ya.

Then just some different angles and how she is coming together. I am loving the look of this make over.

Attached Files:

16. cowboy

Look's good , but why are you changing to 1157 bulb's in your T signals ?
  17. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Have to go to dual lamp to have enough light on the rear with that Sparto Tail Light. Not enough light on the rear if I don't run all three as running lights. Need the box to convert turnsignal to brake lights as well next. But for now that little tail light with have to do it.
  18. chucktx

i really like the new look!!!!! cant wait to see it finished!!!!!!!!!!:)
  19. cowboy

HD has a kit about $40 bucks just plug & play , even comes with new red lences turns T signles into running & brake lights , I put one on My daughters 04 sporty lights it up real good :D
  20. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

YUP they sure do Cowboy. Had one and it died. That is exactly what I am getting a second one of. However I am turning 1940-50 turnsignals into duals so I wll have the behive looking Glass lenses instead.

Thanks Chuck I will post pics ASAP.

On another note it will be a bit longer. My boy decided to show up early. Around 5:00 this morning I will have a brand new baby boy to deal with. At this point I don't care when the bike gets done. Logan is all that matters to me now.