1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

XLH883 Speedo calibration problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by kas, Aug 18, 2009.

1. kas

kas New Member

Because of doing something stupid, I had to replace the speedometer on my wife's 1995 XLH883 Hugger. I picked up a replacement kit, PN 67037-96C, from my local dealer. With only six wires to splice in the new speedo, the installation was fairly easy. As per the instructions, I cleared the codes and it appeared to work OK. However, after getting it on the road, my wife noticed it reads around 13 MPH low throughout the whole range. Trip meter reads low too. The dealer tested it on the bench and he said it checks out OK. At this point we're scratching our heads. The bike is stock, no mods to tires, etc. Any ideas?

Ken
  2. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

You can't get away with saying you did something stupid without saying what you did. ;) Someone will chime in pretty soon with some suggestions.
  3. kas

kas New Member

I dropped something on it and broke the glass.

Ken
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

is it setup for KPH?
  5. kas

kas New Member

MYSTERY SOLVED. Upon futher troubleshooting and research, the dealer discovered that they sold me the wrong one. The correct PN is 67037-95D. The one provided was for a '96 and apparently the gear ratio was changed that year which would account for the speedo being off on my '95.

Ken
  6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Hard to trust those parts guy when they can't even read the part numbers correctly.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

your lucky.....when i get my parts, they ask me if i want fries with that..............
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

:roflmao:ya some of the dealers around are getting some way young counter people thought one was Auto zone still had a red shirt :eek: