1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

XXX Carb

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bikerputz, Dec 8, 2007.

1. bikerputz

bikerputz New Member

Anyone ever use or have any feedback on XXX Carb products specifically the Booster kit?

productpage

TIA
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

will post on this later....no time now.........
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

4. chucktx

i dont use a xxx carb, but i know a lot of guys with big dogs that do, and they love them. as hrk stated they are nearly the same as the divinci's. i have been to his shop and spoke at length with david. great guy and very knowledgeable. answered all questions and gave tips and advice freely.
    hope this helps some....:)
  5. bikerputz

bikerputz New Member

I think XXX was spun out of DaVinci in some form or fashion. I was more interested in the booster kit. Here is my story as to why I inquire.

I had an SS carb put on my bike a few years ago and it was kicking and coughing. It wasn't bad enough not to ride but sure was annoying. We tried adjusting it for months and nothing. :banghead: So I brought to the local dealer so they could dyno it. Come to find out I put the wrong carb in the bike. It was for 88in motors and up. When SS web site to see how I could have F'ed up and it wasn't so clear which was the correct carb. I don't remember the details. During the process I bought the booster kit from XXX and never put it in. I thought maybe it would distribute the gas better. Anyway the dealer did a good job adjusting the best that could be done and the bike ran great and they said I wouldn't need to replace the carb.

So now that riding season has been put on hold for a little while again I figure I'd put that boost kit in since I already bought it but wanted to make sure that I'm not wasting my time. I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to the mechanical aspect to bikes. I don't touch motors and trannies but I'll will do pretty much everything else.

Thanks
  6. chucktx

check out the divinci site, it will explain what that booster does and why. he sells it for 150 bucks....:)
  7. whacker

whacker Active Member

I put the booster on my S&S...helped with the cough,that I got off idle.
  8. hotroadking

I don't know what "wrong carb" means,

S&S has two basic street carbs for twin cams and evos

Super E
    Super G

As S&S says when in doubt, Super E, with you 88 you should have the E.

Adjustment of the idle screw and pump are key, if the carb doesn' have an external or internal air bleed get one installed, it changes the transfer point from pilot jet to main. Can help smooth out the carb.
  9. bikerputz

bikerputz New Member

I put a Super G in and Dealer said it was the wrong carb for the bike. I'm going to put the booster in and see what happens. Thanks for all the replies.
  10. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

The G is just a bigger version of the E, so I assume you are getting too much fuel and having to lean it way down. How far in is the lean/rich screw turned? Some where about 1 1/2 turns out is where I run my E's. I start at 1 1/2 and screw it in (leaner) until it misfires and back it out a half turn, then watch the spark plug color and adjust accordingly. When you took it to the dealer did he just tweak the lean/rich and idle screws or did he re-jet. Possibly a smaller jet might cure the problem. I never ran a G but have E's on two of my bikes. Changing the jets is no big job and the jets are not very expensive. You could go down one size and see what happens and if necessary go down 2 sizes. AL
  11. bikerputz

bikerputz New Member

It's running good now so I'm going to let it be. Thanks, great info and will do that in the future if needed. I don't remember exactly what the dealer did. My memory doesn't work like it use to. It was actually last year that I had the dealer dyno it. However I did by the booster and was wondering if it would be worth using it.
  12. hotroadking

Ok

Basically for an 88 you have too much carb, it makes the bike a bit sluggish off the bottom end, you can play with jetting and such but no matter what you have too large a carb.

If you dont' want to change the carb the only cure is more cubic inches, however a G can be too large for a 95, on a twin it's probably best to stay witth the E up to a 103 and even on a 103 a mild one would use an E

FWIW I'd look for a good deal on a super E and manifold and sell of the G, you'll get better throttle response and mileage.

if it runs fine ride it won't hurt anything but you might be down on potential power