1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Yamaha brake lever

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by fireitup, Jan 1, 2007.

1. fireitup

fireitup New Member

Hello Everyone, The brake lever is installed. Had a problem with the return spring on it. Getting it out and then back in on the new lever. Lack of might. its all on correctly. Still no brakes on the front. So I have to haul the whole system over. It could be air in the brake fluid, Master cylinder. etc. I am learning about the brake system only way to learn it is do it. Thank you all for your help. I wrote down parts assembley not that it is a whole lot for the lever but its good practice. It is a lot of fun. Thanks again fireitup
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

If you have air in the sytem you should be able to pump the lever and have it engage the brakes. If that still doesn't grab then the problem could be something other than air in the line.
  3. fireitup

fireitup New Member

brakes

Hi Kenfuzed, Can't get anything out of the brake lever. So i suspect master cylinder. When the bike went over probubly caused more damage than i realized. it starts up fine. just no brake on the front. i will have time tomorrow to analyze the front brake. learn the parts on the front disk brake system and follow a methodical order in repair. details. Look for parts get the tools i need. find out which ones i need etc.The haynes is some help but the photos are crappy. thanks fireitup
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

while the bike is sitting untill you get to it, make sure the master cylinder is full of fluid....SOMETIMES....it may weep down enough to get the mastercylinder to work a bit to allow you to bleed the system....worth a shot.....
    chuck
  5. fireitup

fireitup New Member

Master cylinder

Thanks Chuck for the tip. I put wd on the screws to the master cylinder to see if that will help to loosen them. there on there tight or at least to my might. Take one component at a time. thanks for your advice. fireitup
  6. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

fire

Let us know when you get the bike back.......
    dress warm............

TRG
  7. fireitup

fireitup New Member

brakes

Hi, Thanks for the response. I have a hard time or actually can't seem to log in unless there is a message for me in my inbox from one of you guys for me to link to. Yes i will let you know. The bike has been in the shop for a week now. I told him to take his time. It has been good riding weather for my standards. The maxim I was thinkng of buying s sold. i should of jumped on it but was too busy working. God knows they made plenty of them so there will be more around. the mechanic told me carb parts for them will be a problem. Thank you for your interest. I will let you know when i get the bike back. fireitup.