1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Yamaha wr450f stator replacement

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Napili4920, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Napili4920

Napili4920 New Member

Heres the full story on my latest issue with this bike. I was riding up on some trails here in Maui, when my bike over heated. I let it sit for 30 minutes while I was doing something else, and then rode it nice and easy down the mountain. At the bottom I stopped at the store to get some stuff, and came out and the electric start would not work. I proceeded to kick start the bike, and it started with ease. On the way home, i turned on the lights and suddenly the bike started hiccupping, as if it were not getting enough power. Bike ran perfectly well without the lights on, but struggled immensely, to the point of not being able to run when they were on. For five days my bike continued to kick start, and ran fine, just each day the display became a bit less bright. finally i could no longer kick start it. I was told it was the stator that had failed, so i replaced it yesterday, put the bike on a trickle charger, and still today i am having no luck. The display is incredibly dim for maybe 2 minutes and then dies altogether. Does this sound like I just need to replace the battery? Or could it be something else that I should look into first?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

have the battery load tested at an auto parts store.....normally for free. let us know what ya find......if the battery checks out, then we will get deeper into the problem....
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

also double check you battery leads both pos & neg , one could come loose just enough to cause this
  4. chucktx

it could also be corroded.....not all corrosion is green/blue. make sure all connections are shiny!
  5. Napili4920

Napili4920 New Member

I checked the battery, and it was not able to hold the slightest charge. I bought a new one and bike is running again. Hopefully it will stay that way! Thanks for the advice everyone.
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Boy, talk about an uneventful issue. Could have told us that you got stuck in a hail storm or something. :rant::D
  7. Napili4920

Napili4920 New Member

ha, well now it does get more eventful. So I put in a new battery, everything seemed to be cherry. Took it for a 60 mile ride, no issues. Hungout at destination for about 4 hours then headed home, this time needing my headlights seeing as it was dark. At mile 40, roughly, exact same issue. Bike was unable to run smoothly while the lights were on, and sometimes it really just wouldnt want to move at all. So I rode most of the way home without my lights on, and once i got home I stuck the battery on the trickle charger. At first the charger said battery was full, but when I checked this morning, its giving my the charging and charged signal, meaning the battery is probably gone bad again. I am in need of some desperate help, the stator and battery totalled me 220 bucks, and I cant keep doing that! Any ideas?
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

sounds like you have a wire rubed raw somewhere & it's in the lights , I would start at the tail light & work forword since you ride it on trails just look for a cracked or rubbed wire /pinched
  9. chucktx

nappili......did ya get my msg??????
  10. Napili4920

Napili4920 New Member

no chuck, have not gotten an replies from you yet. thanks if there is one on the way! haha
  11. chucktx

????????? i replied to all your msgs........wonder what is up??
  12. chucktx

reask the questions ya had here....i cant find them anywhere.........:banghead:
  13. Napili4920

Napili4920 New Member

Okay, so I just asked you if you had any ideas on my issue. Original message was "Heres the full story on my latest issue with this bike. I was riding up on some trails here in Maui, when my bike over heated. I let it sit for 30 minutes while I was doing something else, and then rode it nice and easy down the mountain. At the bottom I stopped at the store to get some stuff, and came out and the electric start would not work. I proceeded to kick start the bike, and it started with ease. On the way home, i turned on the lights and suddenly the bike started hiccupping, as if it were not getting enough power. Bike ran perfectly well without the lights on, but struggled immensely, to the point of not being able to run when they were on. For five days my bike continued to kick start, and ran fine, just each day the display became a bit less bright. finally i could no longer kick start it. I was told it was the stator that had failed, so i replaced it yesterday, put the bike on a trickle charger, and still today i am having no luck. The display is incredibly dim for maybe 2 minutes and then dies altogether. Does this sound like I just need to replace the battery? Or could it be something else that I should look into first?"

next i replaced battery, but still had issue, and wrote "well now it does get more eventful. So I put in a new battery, everything seemed to be cherry. Took it for a 60 mile ride, no issues. Hungout at destination for about 4 hours then headed home, this time needing my headlights seeing as it was dark. At mile 40, roughly, exact same issue. Bike was unable to run smoothly while the lights were on, and sometimes it really just wouldnt want to move at all. So I rode most of the way home without my lights on, and once i got home I stuck the battery on the trickle charger. At first the charger said battery was full, but when I checked this morning, its giving my the charging and charged signal, meaning the battery is probably gone bad again. I am in need of some desperate help, the stator and battery totalled me 220 bucks, and I cant keep doing that! Any ideas? "

Thanks!
  14. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

I tinker with old Yamaha's myself. I have rebuilt my 75 XS650 from the ground up. Rewired it completely. Even fitted a 750 kit.
    I think your bike has a Permanent Magnet Alternator. That means the rotor has magnets in it and there are no brushes in the alternator.
    If you replaced the stator and battery and it is still giving you trouble it might be the regulator/rectifier.
    The PMA alternator puts out the max electricity all the time. THe electricity it makes is AC. The reg/rec converts the AC to DC to charge the battery. This creates heat.
    To control the voltage the reg/rec shunts any voltage over 14.5 volts to ground. This creates lots of heat. The Harley's use the same kind of alternator. They finally went from a single phase to a three phase alternator. Finally caught up to thirty year old Japanese bikes.
    This heat Is drawn away from the reg/rec by the fins on the reg/rec. Even this can't get rid of all the heat. After a few years of running the heat can burn out the reg/rec.
    With some shopping around you might find one for under $100.
    I would get a repair manual for your bike. It will have a troubleshooting guide for the alternator. It will tell you how to test the reg/rec for proer function. If you don't have a good test meter Harbor Freight Has A good digital meter, item #90899 for under $10, on sale, under $5, with the right coupon, free.
    Get the manual, do a few tests and see what's not working. Then get replacements for what's broke and you will be good to go.
    Leo

Th
  15. sam

sam New Member

hey any one can help me...........