1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

You don't want to hear this

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, May 29, 2013.

1. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

2. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Cardboard, if you think you wont have big dealer repair bills with a GW--you are dreaming in la la land. Also, have you ever seen a Honda independent repair shop? No such thing, so plan on dealer abuse every time you need a new light bulb--clutch adjust--mandatory warranty inspection ($500) every 5,000 miles, and YOU CAN"T WORK ON THEM. By the time you analyze all your expenses of ownership, you will have paid for a CVO and then some.

Except for the on-going ownership expenses, it's a nice 900-1000 lb. motorhome.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah you can go to the Honda dealer and hear, "well, we don't have that part in stock it has to come from Japan and it's on Backorder, we'll need a deposit on it of $500 and it will be 4 to 6 weeks. When it's in we'll call you about scheduling the service and what it will cost to repair your Dingalingwing..."
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Got any Idea how many times we go to the Harley dealer and they don't have nothing in STOCK. And you got to pay for it before they order it ?
    All the time.
    And it takes forever to git yer bike in. My bike has been at the dealer for several days waiting to see what is wrong, and I have extended warranty.
  5. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

I don't know what dealer you go to, but I've never had to wait for the parts I want. Granted, the stuff I want is usually from the P&A catalogue, but when I wanted to replace wheel bearings front and back just to be on safe side--they were in stock.

Having a breakdown this time of year is always gonna make you wait no matter what you ride. It's the height of the riding season and everyone's shop is maxed out. My friend dropped his new Suzi V-Strom off for a clutch kit yesterday (burned up after only 6,000 miles). They told him maybe ready by end of June.
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Boy Cardboard you is in for a rude awakening. The Honda shops suck big time and they don't stock a lot of stuff. They also don't have a big network of good dealers around. I rode Goldwings for 8 years and am never going back.
    When you have to work on em you have to strip all the plastic off just to get to it. I had my fill of them. You go ahead and get yourself one bet you won't be happy in the long run.
  7. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

My last ride will be on a Harley. 'Don;t want to remembered as the Old Guy with the Honiyamazuki.
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Alex there's about 5 HD dealers in the Houston area alone then two or more all with in 75-100 miles & almost all of them will tell ya have to order it & then make ya pay up front & charge you shipping on top of the price of the part ,they call in cutting back on stock to save money & they wont even kiss ya :banghead:
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That's the economy, you cant tie up $100K in parts and make it
    in todays market so you keep the main staples in supply and bring in
    stuff that's odd.

At least it just has to come from Milwaukee or Kansas City or PA, not
    Tokyo...
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Your right there , But these dealers here didn't even have a oil pump for a TC when I was going through them had to order them all :banghead: ,I have been to other dealers out of state or at least out of the Houston area & had better luck on some different parts ,heck even Had JB order a part from his dealer up in Minn & got it faster via JB then if I ordered it from a dealer here
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

We have two pretty big dealers here and the one Latus Motors usually has the parts in stock. They really surprise me sometimes.