1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Your advice on riding please.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Harley Rider, May 13, 2006.

1. Harley Rider

Harley Rider New Member

A friend and i are fairly new to riding Harleys, We go out and ride 100-150 miles on Saturday or Sunday.
    Most of are riding is open road,very little in town riding.
    We both have evo engines and would like them to last as long as possible.

So my question is: How should we be riding? We tend to baby them to the point of lugging on hills some times,trying to keep the rpm's down.Is this wrong? Should we be whining them out some? Down shifting on the hills to keep them revved up more?

Would really like to hear from you guys that have been riding Harleys a long time. What's the best style of riding to get the longest life out of an EVO.
  2. dutch

dutch New Member

riding

If the bikes are in good shape ride the wheels off. Get a service manual service the bikes when needed, I think the main advice I would give is don't hammer it until the motor is up to operating temp five to eight miles. Dutch
  3. fxrsrules

fxrsrules New Member

My advice is don't lug it, and don't wind it up till you hit the rev limitor all the time. Your motor will love you for it.
  4. Cracker

Cracker New Member

Dutch is right on the money, one of the best things you can do for en EVO is let it warm up a minute or 2 before you take off. Then take it easy for the first mile or 2.

If you have a tach keep the RPM above 2.5K. They run smoother above there and like it better up to 3.5 ~ 4K. I like to wind mine up once in a while but don't think it's good if your always pushing it to 5.5 ~ 6K. If you don't have a tach then don't ride <under 55 in 5th <45 in 4th <35 in 3rd...

Change the oil & filter every 3K or so depending on how hot it is out, use your judgement. I'm not going to get into an oil debate, but I use Redline synthetic in mine 20/50 in motor, Redline MTL in the primary & Redline HVY shockproof gear lube in the trany. I think they carry Redline hear now at Direct Parts JMHO.

If you have questions and need to talk to someone contact the tech line here at direct parts and ask for Sam. He'll set you in the right direction.

Have fun and keep the rubber side down.
  5. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

new to riding...

As long as your bikes are broken in... I guess with the Evo, you are, Go for it after it warms up... I love my Evo... Peace...:)
  6. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

One more thing. I was told that with the Evo's to use Harley oil since it is manufactured for the harley engine (rollerbearings, etc.). Do not use synthetics, since the roller bearings will fail... www.harleyhelp.com has lots of info on just this one topic. Look under FAQs. I use harley manufactured oils in the tranny and primary drive. JMHO too... Peace...:)
  7. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

You can run them lower than 2,500 RPM, like for instance in town at steady throttle. I will, but usually only coasting or maintaining lower speed. I don't let it go even then below 1,800 without downshifting. Never put it under load below 2,500, like other have said. What you are saving in wear on the rings at the lower speeds will end up costing a bottom end instead. Like Cracker said, most riding is done between 2,500 and 4,000.
  8. Harley Rider

Harley Rider New Member

Thank you! to everyone that has posted so far. It's much appreciated.

Both bikes are broke in,My friend bought a 1998 electra glide ultra,It looks to be in great shape but has 80,000 miles on it.(guess you would call that broke in)

I bought a 1995 wide glide with 8700 miles on it.You could not tell this bike from a new one,excellent shape.

Mwelych: My bike had all the fluids changed when i got it and i only have put about 500 miles on it so far. But the dealer close to me said to use Harley Synthetic oil in it. How about the rest of you,do you want to weigh in on which oil would be best for these bikes? (i know,there are as many ideas about oil as there are oils)
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Normally we cover new users that ask about oil with hd dyno oil because it sticks to your skin better and cover you with real duck feathers, syn is too slippery the feathers just come off and slide down, it doesn't stick to your body as well as dyno. Also you might fall down with synthetic ol on your sneakers vs dyno oil.

Only used approved Nike oil on your shoes

Point is there are some amazingly stupid things on the internet about oil.

www.bobistheoilguy.com is a site full of oil engineers, petrochemists and people just nuts about lubirication.

Syn oil doesn't hurt roller bearings, cause bearing skate, or screw up breakin. It's all wives tails.

20W-50 Dyno and 20W-50 syn are the exact same as far as lubrication is concerned the difference is that the syn oils don't break down as easily or at the lower temps dyno oil does.

So they lubricate better and longer.
  10. CD

CD Guest

Sorry HRK, I was editing and writing on the fly and finally got a chance to finish.:eek:
    At any rate, what the man said.:D

Please, PLEASE do not help to continue this wives tale! Synthetics never, ever have caused bearing skate. It is not too "slippery"! I 20W50 wt is a 20W50 wt oil whether it is synthetic, fossil or blended. Otherwise, you could not call it 20W50 wt. Subjects like these are one of the unfortunate downsides of the Internet. If you read it on the web, it must be true...Like the 300MPG carburetor etc.

There have been numerous articles, studies, tests, hangings and even some public floggings but, the wives tales still persist.

There are entire sites like http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ that are dedicated to giving factual information from true experts in the field.

One of my favorite bits of an article written by Donny Peterson is this one:

Harley® is special in our hearts but in our minds we must realize they haven’t reinvented the air-cooled engine and therefore require specially formulated for Harley® only fluids.

Pretty much says it all.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2006
  11. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

CD, Thanks for the beta. I have read most of this site already and it proves interesting... Peace...:)
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Just glad to have reinforcements CD LOL

Yep there ought to be a www.oilbullshidt.com site LOL

I am not picking on mwelch for asking, that's fine, just that we need to be sure you know your rights and what is right an wrong

You can use any oil that meets HD's requirements, it doesn't have to be HD oil, if they required you to use thier oil then they have to give it out free, and I don't see free qt's of oil popping over the counter.

That said there isn't anything wrong with HD Dyno or HD Syn (other than the persistant rumors of trans problems with Syn3) but I think that two is a myth.

I prefer Castrol Syntech or Amsoil in the motor, mostly Amsoil Synthetic

Redline Heavy Shockproof in the Trans - or Amsoil FUll Synthetic Gear oil
    Makes a big difference.
  13. CD

CD Guest

That's why the site is here. There is a ton of knowledgable folks here and a lot of answers already in the data base.:D
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i second all the above about oil........i dont guess that tale will ever die..........
    chuck
  15. slickrick

slickrick New Member

I also have an EVO. I live in a northern climate (Montana) and I ALWAYS let the motor warm up. Start your engine, set the ideler, and let it warm up until the rocker boxes are warm. Good technique is start it up then get dressed, and do your switch check, buy the time you are dressed and checked out the motor should be warmed up.

On RPM's I like to stay high in the power band. 2.5-3.5 even in town, when you want to go or let off its all right there with not alot of shifting up or down.
  16. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

Ride the wheels off and quit "babying" the scoots! Yes, do the proper warm up, but for God's sake, why would you baby them!?! The bike is designed for RIDING! Have fun and quit worrying!