1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

S&S V111 domino effect.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tomflhrci98, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I installed this V111 a year and a half ago. Got about 15 thousand on it. Like Lucifer, I always had hot starting problems. Even with the compression releases it’s hard on starters. The original starter went early on and the new starter clutch went after about a year. But when that went the starter ring gear went with it.

I replaced the starter clutch with an All Balls clutch and the ring gear and jack shaft set with an Evolution Industries set. Looks like a quality piece too. Went with 84 tooth instead of 102 tooth ring gear. The engine turns over faster which helps my hot starting problem. It still stalls the starter on the first engagement but starts good after that.

I also replaced the inner clutch basket. The stealership parts guy said check the splines and he was right they were worn. This may have caused the whole basket to be off center (this bike has 120,000 miles).

I had also replaced my battery cables with a set that has like 1500 strands and gold plated ends. I forget who makes them but they were like $60 a set and I don’t think it help any.

All that cost over $500.00. Now my Barnette clutch is slipping more so I installed the screaming beagle heavey clutch spring, and now I can’t pull in the clutch lever more than about 20 times before my hand cramps up, so I’m waiting on the white brothers easy clutch adapter i ordered

Like I said, domino effect. Just to let you all know what happens when you go for more power. a Or maybe it's just the way it is when you don't have enough to buy new bike every couple o years.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like my 124
    More power means more stuff to go wrong
    You have to beef it all up from brakes to battery
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Did you run a second ground cable from the battery right to a starter mounting bolt??
    HRK mentioned it a few times and I used to get "tech tips" from S&S back in the day when the 96" S&S was king of cubes lol...That was one of their tips....It definitely helps... At least a #4 AWG or larger....the heavier the cable the less voltage drop through it...
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  4. hotroadking

Yep, be sure it's running from the battery - post to the starter mount, not to the frame, plus from the battery to the frame, put a star washer under the frame ground, sometimes the powdercoat is too thick and you won't get a good ground.

Is the kick back happening on cold starts and/or after you've let it sit a bit? If so you could have a lifter bleeding down closing a valve, but the releases should take care of that.

Also larger stronger starters tax the system, so the battery and grounds have to be perfect or it's a problem, sometimes a regular ol HD starter is better, that's what I went back to solve the problem, had a Spyke 1.4 and it kicked bitched and caused issues, pulled it and put in the stock starter (10 years old) and it fired up perfect every time. The big starter was drawing too many amps.

Turn on the bike as you would when starting, then watch the voltage drop on the battery, see what you are pulling, then, press the starter and see what the drop is at the battery, you might be pulling too many amps and the VD is too much for the starter resulting in kick back.
  5. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

I don't know about these Hi-Perf, problems, but couldn't a spark retard be designed to take care of this? Just wondering..
  6. Tomflhrci98

I did all the stuff with star washers, grinding off paint, bypassing the frame etc. The kick back is ONLY when it is hot. Like Lucifer said, you hate stopping for gas cause when you start up the first engagement of the jack shaft jams the starter. So you back off real quick and hit it again. The second time it turns over like it should. With the S&S you then have to open the throttle a wee bit before it will start.

I know the comp releases are working because if I stick my fingers on them they are always pulling in.
  7. Tomflhrci98

I'm using the S&S IST ignition system. There is no changing spark at startup as far as I know. I've called S&S several times and they have never mentioned this.

Besides I would have to buy their cable and software to hook it to a laptop and they want $350.00 for it.
  8. Lucifer

You still have the pick up sensor in the nose cone eh??You can retard timing with that a couple of degrees rotating it counter clockwise....That way would shift the entire curve back a couple degrees....
  9. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Hold the rear compression realease down while you crank it it will turn over easier and fire quicker.
  10. Tomflhrci98

Actually the nose cone is empty. This IST has a crank sensor, a knock sensor, temp sensor, and intake pressure sensor. No wires coming out of the nose cone.

And then everything is computed in the module under the seat. Nothing to adjust unless you have a puter and majic bits and bites.

In a way I'm kinda glad. I spent half my life with a power-commander when this bike had FI and I was never able to confirm that timing changed at all no matter what I did with the stupid thing and then after converting it to carb I had to deal with the dynotek 2ki which wasn't too bad but I had pre-ignition problems etc. etc. Finally changed completely to this V111 and I don't want to open it up at all... just let it run the way it is.

I like simplicity but I like this IST too. I can't really complain too much except for this hot starting issue.
  11. Tomflhrci98

I do need to try this cept when it is hot it's hard to put your hands in there on top of the heads to hold them done without using welding gloves....which I have hmmmmm :rolleyes: I'll have to try this.
  12. Lucifer

Yeah,after I posted I checked out the IST ignition...Kinda like a fuelie's ECM but for a carb
    While I was searching ,I came across this thread...

http://bike-talk.com/threads/s-s-v111.18856/

Did you get the carb dialed in??
  13. baggerpaul

I made my buddy with his 124 a hold down tool out of aluminum and he dipped it in liquid electrical tape so as to not scrape the head fins kinda looks like a spoon keeps it in his tank leather pocket slides it under the fin holds it with one finger fires it off and hes good to go on the hot restarts.no more starter and ring gear issuies after 3 broken startes in half I may add .half a dozen starter cluthes two updated ring geras and starter jaack shafts.i can change a softail starter. In 35 min start to finish with out pulling the rear tire.lmfa.
  14. hotroadking

The it's is great for carb bikes. I ran it on my 124 no timing issues ever
  15. Tomflhrci98

So do you think the electronic comp releases aren't working when it's hot? I couldn't get S&S to understand what the hot start issue was. I think they are in denial.

I even saw a review of the new Big Bear chopper with the SS111 and the reviewer even said in the article that this engine was a bitch to restart.
  16. Tomflhrci98

Yeah the carbs running good. no backfires or farts. I ended up with the same jetting that was in it when it was delivered. The only thing I changed was the air bleed jet for the pipes. I went from 40 thou to 60 thou.
  17. hotroadking

You have electric comp releases?

I ran them as well, have you checked to see that they are working, you have to disconnect the starter so it won't engage, then depress the start button, see if they both are clicking. If so then it's time to look at other things.

Are you running a stock or higher rated starter, I ran into similar problems
    with starting with a larger aftermarket starter, seems they really drag on the power and if you don't have it setup correct or enough power to the starter you get these problems.

Eventually went back to the double ground, well charged battery and stock starter which eliminated everything.

The IST has two settings, electronic and Kick Start, if it was set to kick start in error it would try and fire the ignition on the first rotation, you should n0t be set in that mode, you want the engine to free wheel before spark is initiated.

OF course the software is the only way to know vs shipping it to SNS to validate, which might not be a bad idea if you can't resolve it elsewhere.
  18. Tomflhrci98

Yeah, I wish I could find someone to hook up a laptop to it and check the timing at startup at least. That's a good thought.

I got a stock HD starter with AllBalls clutch and super expensive battery cables.

I checked the comp releases but when it's real hot then who knows, i'll have to stick my hand in there and see.
  19. hotroadking

No you don't, just pull the green wire off the starter solenoid,
    the electronic releases should be wired in series with that wire,
    activated by the starter switch.

Press the start button with the green wire disconnected and check voltage on the wire you should also hear the releases click.

Do a voltage drop test on the green wire.

Start with everything connected like normal (except the solenoid) this will
    be your max V drop, then start removing power drains, start with the releases.

With the comp releases on that wire, add in the ignition, coil,
    lights, gauges and other electric bits see what the voltage is when you press
    the start button and it's not connected to the solenoid.

Turn off spots, pull fuse for headlight, one at a time, see if the V comes up on that green wire. Disconnect the electronic releases from the Green starter circuit.

You might be surprised at the drop, when when the engine is hot, and the starter is hot, and it needs all it's juice to kick the bike over, well, the drop might be enough that the hot starter can't do it's job. When cold it's got less resistance.

If you find the drop is enough to be causing the problems, then wire the electronic releases to a relay, power it off the accy fuse, run the wire from the starter button Y for the releases to the activation tab on the relay, this might get you 1 or 2 volts more at the starter.
  20. baggerpaul

A ha !+1 I thought he had manual comp buttons .ok this is a new ball game ! Do exactly what hrk is telling you. That thing should not be as hard to stert as you described.