1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wicked Hot Start Kickback

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Got a set of All Balls wheel bearings going in the rear and a new set of Avons....should have ordered the clutch too with the tires and bearings... going to need one sooner or later...Clutch is $59.00...free shipping over $69.00 :facepalm:
    If the injector is more than gummed up or crap in it,do you repair or replace??
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Replacement item .pull the injector and cross the delphi part number should be the same injector as a chevy cavalier. But use the number on the injector.!
    Lucifer likes this.
  3. Lucifer

Thanks BP....I did the same thing for the MAP sensor from a 2000 carbed fatboy,crossed the Delphi number on it...Parts guy at Chevy dealer said it's same one on everything from Chevette to Corvette...

Ordered the AllBalls clutch...needed to find something else to get over $69.00 for free shipping,clutch was $58.00....found an AllBalls solenoid rebuild kit for $22.00....same kit for the '90 Heritage and '03 King:)

Was going to make a fuel pressure tester,but I needed the fittings to attach to the quick connect and fuel line from the dealer+ a decent gauge,brass fittings hoses and my time to run around getting and putting it together...so I said Fugit...and ordered one of these....

...I'm sure it'll be used more than once;)
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Where are you at with this Lucifer?
  5. Lucifer

Heh...Getting pretty good at thumbing the start button...2nd 3rd or 4th push for sure it fires on half a push....Running a couple cans of Seafoam through the tank...it definitely smells and feels fat...
    Rear wheel bearing wasn't bad ...the race spun in the hub:banghead:....Indy that was doing the job knurled the hub,heated and pressed the bearing in....should be good until the bearing wears out or the next tire on the back...Gotta give him cudo's for knowing how to do it for a fix...temporary,but better than needing a new used wheel right away...

Blew the front rocker box gasket on the Evo trying to unstick the clutch :rolleyes:....Gotta take the primary off and clean the plates...no shortcuts....and change the rubbers in the front rocker as a bonus:p
  6. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Don't you just love the chain reaction when something goes south? The all balls clutch throwout bearing will last forever. Put one in mine after shattering two of the penny sized bearings.
  7. Lucifer

Heh, yeah...Starter clutch seems to be a pretty common failure with the Twinkies...Had to change a couple on the Evo too....that wasn't until I jacked the static compression up 2 full points...but last compression test on the Evo showed the same numbers as the King almost...Evo was 190lbs both King showed 200 & 190 lbs so there would be a little extra strain on the clutch,so I suppose a lot of the failures are owner induced...;)
    Fuel mileage tanking is what I really want to find the reason for whether its a mechanical problem with the EFI system or a sensor or if the Fuel Moto tuner is acting up...
    Since I'll be keeping this bike until my riding days are done,I suppose I better learn how an EFI system works and how to trouble shoot sensors, Fuel Tool should help me with the learning curve....
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Since I'll be keeping this bike until my riding days are done,I suppose I better learn how an EFI system works and how to trouble shoot sensors, Fuel Tool should help me with the learning curve....
    man swap to a carb like I did more time for drinking & less thinking
  9. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

10. Lucifer

LOL... Little honey says I don't need more drinking time...She even went as far as saying I don't really need a 17cubic ft beer fridge in the living roomo_O....She wanted me to get one of those dinky little bar fridges:rolleyes:
  11. joshbob

A dinky little bar fridge holds plenty of libations - I have one in my shop and I never seem to run out of beer LOL.
  12. Lucifer

Maybe I'll check into one...Gotta be able to slip at least two 30 paks in so I don't have to reload every day....Ya know, it's not just for breakfast anymore!!:D
  13. joshbob

Ha-ha! I don't think mine will hold that many - maybe - I'll have to try it and see.

So your bike has about twice the compression mine does. No wonder all the troubles with batteries and starters and such.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  14. cowboy

Those little fridges are Ok but I have. A full size fridge in the garage , as for the eff it works Good but can cost a lot when it goes bad that's why I did the carb swap & it was the best thing I did
  15. joshbob

I have had zero trouble with my CV carb for four years now, and it's a rebuilt used one.
  16. Lucifer

If it was MM injection I'd switch to carb...
    Picked up a $30.00 compression tester,just to see what it's pumping for myself...Fuel pressure tester will be in tomorrow...Comp tester is supposed to have a 12mm adapter for motosickles but it wouldn't fit my TC heads...I did notice though, the front cyl spark plug has oil on it, and is kinda black 3 rings up and insulator was black almost to the top ....the back of the throttle plate has a film of oil on it again.....Heads are vented with a Sifton kit has a little 2" pipe from the head bolt and a filter on it...one on each...front filter is dirty,back is still clean,so no crank oil getting in through the intake,should be clean as a whistle....maybe I see a 98" kit and some head work after the season is over:),maybe a new set of cams ;)
  17. Tomflhrci98

Man this is sounding like my old VO. I kept checking compression, and getting fouled plugs and chasing why the vent system was sucking so much oil..... I had to pull the heads to clean out the carbon and replace the valve seals but still got dirty plugs. I pulled the motor apart so many times I ruined the head bolts. That's why they pulled out of the crank case. I know some of it was my fault. I don't think I used enough oil on the head bolts when I torqued them down once.

Anyway Lucifer, be careful. Maybe you should just opt for the S&S. Comes with a carb......:rolleyes:
  18. cowboy

Carb for me but I am frugal & some high tech stuff should be left to the pros or deep pocket folks
  19. Lucifer

This all started a couple of years ago when my former buddy turned a 10hr job into 7 months:rolleyes: and a rag got in the bottom end and starved the top end of oil...most of it is in my "Winter Project" thread....
    I'm hoping it's just valve seals leaking and not a cylinder/rings problem....leak down test should point me in the right direction...but if the heads have to come off....well...lol
    I was kind of half joking about head work and 98" bore job because I found a full service shop on the mainland about 3 1/2- 4 hrs away does EFI dyno tuning...Going to check them out... Bentley Bikes is their name....

http://www.bentleybikes.com/

Delphi EFI isn't that bad...Fuel pressure tester and a good VOM meter and you should be able to find most problems that come up with EFI issues like a leaky injector...
    I'm not frugal, I'm a cheap azzed bastard...Wifey says I have deep pockets but short arms... lol...(No deep pockets,but my arms are too short even for my shallow pockets;))...Fuel Tool was cheaper than buying a carb,wiring harness and control module....pros and cons for both fuel delivery systems:D
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  20. Tomflhrci98

Even the magnelli system aint too bad if you don't go beyond the HD stage 2. It's got some convenience and good gas millage. I miss fuel injection for the starting and the fuel millage at higher altitudes. I say keep the Delphi if you can.

I've heard ways to flash the Delphi so you don't have to run a piggyback system like the Power Commander III, just something you might look into.