1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Word on oil different type of question (I Hope)

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by AFNurse, Feb 23, 2009.

1. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Ok here's my 2 cents to help with the economy :p

Whether you choose 10w40 or 20w50 it should be specific for motorcycle use. Now I know there are plenty out there that use regular automotive oils like Mobil 1 but they are not designed for use with wet clutches. You can get away with using it just in the engine but unless it were an emergency I wouldn't bother with it myself.

There's more to motorcycle oil than just the name on the label. Motorcycle oil is made without adding the friction modifier found in most automotive oils and are recommended for wet clutches.

While H-D continues to recommend using Syn3 in all three holes, its probably due more to the fact that they don't sell other viscosities of synthetic. When you look at their standard petrolium oils there are three different types. Personally I prefer using 20/50 in the engine, 10/40 in the primary, and severe gear SVG 75/90 in the transmission. Since buying my 6 speed last year I've since started using SVT 75/110 and my gears run quiet.

Those are just the types of oil I use and not posted here to cause a debate. To each his own, JMHO.
  2. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Art we travel a lot on our bikes.....I don`t get too worried around home..(small towns) but, when we travel out to larger cities and the resort strips we get caught in lot of traffic.....I always worry about burning my bikes down. I would like to know more about oil coolers for electraglides.....Email address or any information to contacts...thanks James
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

4. Mayor

Mayor New Member

I think I might need a couple (wifes and mine) thanks for the info Chuck.....The ones you fabed look good......As for me guess I will have to purchase one......You know, "FUN TO RIDE AND H3LL TO PUSH" Thanks again!
  5. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

ECS Engineering
    PO Box 358
    268 Bowlin Rd.
    Bessemer City, NC 28016
    704-629-9686

The owner is Earl Calhoun & his e-mail address is:

hdrepairman@yahoo.com

The shop is way out in the country west of Charlotte, NC & I've dealt with Earl since 2001. I haven't checked on the price of the oil cooler lately & he stays busy so it may take a little while for him to get back with you, but he will. He doesn't advertise because he doesn't need to & when the little website that showed some of his Pro Nitro bike parts went down he didn't bother to have it brought back up.
  6. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Thanks Art, we ride in NC a lot, thought we might be close, but, when I looked at the map I seen that Ashville is about as close as we get to him....I will sent him and email....thanks again.....enjoy you post and all the help I recieve from you and all the others on Bike Talk!
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  7. REDHEAD

REDHEAD New Member

oil cooler

I use JAGG and the mount on my 00 dyna is left front frame tube.... I also use the manual valve on-or-bypass.. cooler looks and works great and is out of the dirt from behind the front tire....

JAGG COOLER (fancy clean look)
    MANUAL CONTROL VALVE
    OIL FILTER ADAPTOR and hose n clamps

I ordered from WALLEYS ad in american eagle bike mag.
    all under 300$$
    I have it on my 2000 dyna built big.....
    Have not needed one on my 2006 sport roadster...

signed....REDHEAD